Automotive Cybersecurity That Protects Sensitive Data
Automotive network security ensures peace of mind for your clients and employees.
What Is Automotive Cybersecurity?
Cybersecurity is a concern for businesses in every industry. Data breaches and other attacks threaten people’s professional and personal lives. Without proper cybersecurity measures in place, car dealership management systems and connected cars are open to exploitation.
Auto dealerships and connected cars contain highly sensitive information that has to be protected. Everything from social security information to credit scores is fair game in a data breach, so the automotive industry has to have comprehensive dealership technology solutions to protect systems from unauthorized access, damage, and manipulation.
Computer Technology Management Services supports auto dealerships with an industry-recognized cybersecurity framework that minimizes these risks. We provide employee awareness packages, vulnerability scans, network penetration testing, and more to make sure your technological solution is effective and long-lasting.
Auto Dealerships and the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act
The Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act is a Federal law that requires financial institutions to detail how they share and protect private consumer data. To further protect consumer financial information, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) updated the Safeguards Rule under the GLB Act. The new changes essentially consider any company that offers consumers financial products or services (like loans, financial or investment advice, or insurance) financial institutions.
What this means is your dealership is now considered a financial institution. As a result, your company must stay in compliance with the GLB Act, which involves:
- Having one or more employees coordinate your cybersecurity program.
- Identifying and assessing risks to customer information and evaluating your security posture.
- Regularly monitoring and testing your cybersecurity.
- Choosing a managed services provider that can maintain your cybersecurity.
- Evaluating and adjusting the program after you make changes to your company.
At CTMS, we can make the process of achieving and maintaining GLB Act compliance easy. Our team works closely with yours to make sure your dealership can provide comprehensive data protection for your customers’ information.
The Ohio Cybersecurity Safe Harbor Law
Vehicle cybersecurity is important for the automotive industry, and that’s unlikely to change. The economic and reputational hit a car dealership suffers after a data breach can result in the loss of potential and current customers. Thankfully, measures like Ohio’s Data Protection Act (DPA) normalizes the creation of industry-recognized cybersecurity programs.
The Ohio Data Protection Act, passed November 2, 2018, introduced an incentive-based program for businesses to improve cybersecurity practices. The DPA provides businesses an affirmative defense or safe harbor against data breach claims brought under Ohio law for organizations that implement and comply with an industry-recognized cybersecurity program. The DPA strives “to be an incentive and to encourage businesses to achieve a higher level of cybersecurity through voluntary action.”
To qualify for the safe harbor, a business must introduce a cybersecurity program built to:
- Protect against anticipated threats to the integrity of personal information
- Protect the security and confidentiality of personal information
- Protect against unauthorized access to sensitive information likely to result in a material risk of identity theft or fraud
The scope of a company’s cybersecurity program should consider:
- Company size and complexity
- The cost and availability of tools to improve IT
- The resources available to the organization
- The nature and scope of business activities
- The sensitivity of the information protected by the company
CTMS protects businesses with complete technical support. Our cybersecurity programs strengthen your security posture and guard you against exploitation. With the right technological solution in place, your organization won’t be held liable in the case of a data breach. Cybersolutions like data backup, network security, and IT security keep your clients and workforce safe from bad actors.
CTMS protects your data with robust, custom managed network services. Our team addresses all of your worst IT-related fears.
The Benefits of Automotive Network Security
Technological innovation and consumer preferences drive the automotive industry. Connected vehicles are becoming more sophisticated with their increased electrical components, robust infrastructure, and access to cloud storage. As the number of connected cars grows, so does the chance of cyberattack.
CTMS’s dealership technology solutions provide vehicle cybersecurity by:
- Implementing solutions that can reliably identify and report threats (i.e., embedded firewalls)
- Encrypting data to protect confidential information
- Protecting external and internal communications to a vehicle
- Authenticating communications and blocking contact from unauthorized devices
Choose CTMS for Dealership Technology Solutions
CTMS understands that implementing and maintaining a new technological solution is challenging. We support auto dealerships with custom, cutting-edge cybersecurity programs. Should your business experience a data breach, our technicians make sure you have an industry-recognized cybersecurity framework that satisfies all cybersecurity compliance standards needed to qualify for a safe harbor. Ready to secure your data? Schedule a consultation with our technicians today.